ABSTRACT SUBMISSION INFORMATION (deadline: Friday, March 15, 2019, 17:59 CET)
Submission of abstracts for oral presentations (general sessions and “Focus on…” sessions) and poster presentation closed on Friday, March 15, 2019, 17:59 CET.
The submission of an abstract does not constitute registration for ICML. Abstract presenters must register to attend the meeting. Simultaneous abstract submission and registration for the congress are highly recommended.
Notification regarding abstract evaluation results (acceptance for oral or poster presentation, inclusion in the Abstract Book or rejection) will be sent to the first author/presenter by Friday, May 3, 2019.
Early registration fee applies for presenters of abstracts selected for oral presentation.
Submission of original scientific material unpublished at the time of the abstract submission deadline is encouraged.
Encore abstracts are accepted only if already submitted to and/or presented at:
- regional or national meetings
- ASCO 2019 and EHA 2019, the large international meetings which are organized in the same period as ICML (May – July) by the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and the European Hematology Association (EHA).
Except for the above mentioned situations, during submission, first authors are asked to certify that the submitted abstract has neither been nor will be previously published before release of 15-ICML Abstract Book (Wednesday, June 12, 2019).
Updated analyses must substantially differ from previously published manuscripts.
Ongoing trials abstracts
Abstracts describing trials in progress can be submitted, provided that:
- patient enrolment has already started
- new patient accrual is still possible
Text of ongoing trials abstracts is expected to include only the 2 following sections: Introduction and Methods.
These abstracts will be evaluated for oral presentation (in a general session or a “Focus on Ongoing trials” session), poster presentation or inclusion in the Abstract Book. The presentation format will be decided by the Organizing Committee on the basis of the evaluation results and the scientific program structure.
Late-Breaking Abstracts (deadline: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 17:59 CEST)
Late-Breaking Abstracts may be submitted only for studies that will have conclusive data available after the regular abstract submission deadline.
A preliminary abstract (placeholder abstract) must be submitted online by the regular abstract deadline (Friday, March 15, 2019, 17:59 CET).
Only abstracts anticipating very high quality research findings will be accepted.
A member of ICML Organising Committee will contact the first author in order to discuss the study in detail.
No Late-Breaking Abstract will be considered without the submission of the placeholder abstract and the covering letter.
First author responsabilities
The submission of an abstract constitutes a formal commitment by the first author to present the abstract (if accepted) orally or as a poster.
The first author serves as presenter and primary contact for all correspondence regarding the abstract.
Upon submission of an abstract, the first author/presenter is responsible for the following:
• ensuring that all authors have read the abstract and agreed to be co-authors;
• forwarding all correspondence regarding the abstract to all co-authors;
• releasing abstract copyright to John Wiley and Sons, Inc. (publisher of 15-ICML Abstract Book as supplement to “Hematological Oncology”), for inclusion in ICML abstract book and its licensee publications with educational purposes;
• giving permission to record his/her presentation during 15-ICML for multimedia coverage, release to attendees and licensees for educational purposes;
• disclosing any conflict of interest, declaring the name of the company (s)he maintains a "relevant financial relationship"* with.
Unless otherwise indicated, it is implied that there are no conflicts of interests pertinent to the abstract;
• releasing copyright and providing conflict-of-interest disclosure on behalf of co-authors;
• certifying that the same abstract has neither been nor will be previously published before 15-ICML, except for regional or national meetings, ASCO 2019 and EHA 2019.
Furthermore, the first author/presenter certifies that the abstract will not be included as such in the scientific material produced in connection with any satellite symposium held during 15-ICML.
*“Relevant financial relationships” are intended those from which the author or any individual with whom he/she directly shares income has received or may receive financial benefit within the past 24 months. The relationships to declare are: employment or leadership position in a company – consultant or advisory role - stock ownership – honoraria – research funding – other remuneration.
Abstract submission information
During the online abstract submission, the following information will be required:
- First author/presenter complete contact details (first and middle name, surname, department, affiliation, mailing address, city and country, telephone number, e-mail address), for future correspondence and notification on the abstract evaluation outcome;
- Co-authors’ first and middle name initials, surname, department, affiliation, city and country.
- Preference of presentation: Oral presentation (including “Focus on...” sessions) or Poster presentation. The Organizing Committee reserves the right to conclusively decide the presentation format, on the basis of the evaluation results and the scientific program structure.
- Ongoing trials abstract eligibility (please check the pertinent paragraph for conditions).
- Option of withdrawal of the abstract in case of selection for publication only in the Abstract Book (i.e.: if the abstract is not selected for oral or poster presentation).
NB: Changes of the option of withdrawal are not possible after the submission deadline.
- Application for a travel award, in case the abstract is selected for oral or poster presentation. The applicant must be first author/presenter of the abstract and aged 35 years or younger.
- Keywords (minimum 1 – maximum 3), to be selected from the list available here.
- Acceptance of abstract submission policy and regulations including first author/presenter responsibilities and in particular:
1) release of copyright and permission to multimedia recording of presentation for educational purposes, also on behalf of the co-authors;
2) disclosure of conflict of interest, also on behalf of the co-authors;
3) no prior publication of the same abstract, except for regional and national meetings, ASCO 2019 and EHA 2019;
4) no inclusion of the same abstract in the scientific material produced in connection with any satellite symposium.
5) withdrawal policy: abstracts selected for oral or poster presentation must be presented, unless indicated during the submission.
Guidelines for abstract preparation
• Abstracts must not be longer than 2’500 characters (text and table included; title, authors’ list and spaces not included).
• The title must not exceed 150 characters (spaces not included).
Names of cooperative study groups should appear in the title, as they can not be included in the authors’ list.
• The number of listed co-authors must be limited to thirty-five (35).
First author/presenter name will be underlined. All authors will be listed with first and middle name initials, surname, department, affiliation, city and country.
Please note that, in order for affiliations to be grouped properly, the exact same information for affiliation, department, city, and country fields must be entered.
• All abstracts (except for ongoing trials) should include the following 4 sections: Introduction, Methods, Results, Conclusions.
• Only one brief and simple data table is permitted in the text of the abstracts. The table counts for 350 characters.
• One image can be submitted and it’s not included in the character count. Only JPG, GIF or PNG file can be uploaded.
The image options must be: Width and Height (in px): 500; Size (in KB): 1000; DPI: 300.
Images not adhering to these options and images with no readable texts will be removed from the abstract book without further recourse to the first author.
• Compounds should be mentioned with the generic name in lower case. Commercial names may not be used in the title of the abstract. Commercial names are admitted in the text, in brackets and with the ® symbol, following the generic name, i.e. ‘generic (Commercial®)’.
Educational Book and Abstract Book
All selected abstracts will be included in the Abstract Book, supplement to “Hematological Oncology” (John Wiley and Sons, Inc.), published online on the pertinent Wiley Online Library website as of Wednesday, June 12, 2019.
Prior to this date, submitted abstracts are treated as confidential by ICML (Organizing Committee, Advisory Board, 15-ICML reviewers), first author, co-authors, research sponsors.
Summaries of the Educational sessions will be included in the Educational Book distributed to attendees on site and also available online.
Travel Grants and Merit Award
Based on funding availability, a limited number of travel grants, sponsored by the Swiss Cancer League and possibly by other contributors, will be provided to young investigators (less than 35 years), whose abstract has been accepted for oral or poster presentation. The selection will be made on the basis of the abstract evaluation results. The travel grant, meant to defray travel expenses for attending ICML, can be applied for by eligible first authors during the abstract submission.
Based on funding availability, a “merit award” will be given to the young investigator author of the highest-scoring abstract and selected for a travel grant. The recipient will receive complimentary registration, a monetary support to attend 15-ICML and will be recognized for his/her scientific merit during the conference.